Saturday, April 4

Final Salute to My Father-in-Law

Retired Lt. Colonel Harry Sexton
1932-2009

Harry with Princess, March 2009
(c) Matt Larson, 2009

I know it's been a long time since my last post. Our family has lost it's most valuable player, my father-in-law, Harry Sexton. Harry passed away Saturday, March 28 at Hospice House of heart failure.

He was put to rest on Wednesday, April 1 at Florida National Cemetery with full military honors (Air Force)--it was truly a beautiful funeral if that is appropriate to say for it was a top-notch service.

For the past several months, Becky and I have been with him in and out of hospitals--it has been a really difficult period for us. We just weren't in the mood to blog and just too tired overall to think about anything else. Harry's brothers Tom (and Ann) and Dick (and Mary) ... and his sister Jane came down from Kentucky and Ohio for the services. We really enjoyed seeing them all again and valued the time we had with them.

The photo of Harry with his dog Princess (now our new family member) was shot with my iPhone just weeks ago. We had stopped by to visit mom and dad at their new apartment and wanted to surprise them by bringing Princess for a visit. As you can see, it was a happy moment for them both.

Anyway, I just wanted to fill you all in as to why I suddenly stopped posting. I hope to be back in full force soon but we still have much to do before we wrap things up.

We'll all miss Harry but we know he's in a better place, feeling no more pain and is being taken care of by loved ones passed. I know my own dad would make sure of that. Harry is truly the finest man I've ever met and the best father-in-law a man could have. I salute you Harry! May you rest in peace. Love you and miss you!

Harry's obit can be viewed here.

Matt


No comments: